Until social distancing rules tell us it is okay to gather again, HBC will be offering route options for members to ride at the time and speed of their choice. For now, let’s call them “solo, self-paced rides”. The details are not completely finished yet, but I want to give you a head’s up so you can be ready to go as soon as everything is in place.
What are the advantages of having HBC offer solo, self-paced rides?
1. We all want to keep riding regularly. If you are like me, I run out of ideas for new routes, and boredom sets in. I appreciate the creativity of our Ride Leaders, who find interesting new routes and places to visit that I wouldn’t otherwise know about. Our plan is for interested Ride Leaders to organize new routes and post them on the Ride Calendar for specified time periods. Members will register for the ride, and then self-report the miles they have ridden.
2. We all want to stay connected. Can you imagine how different things would be if we couldn’t share our personal experiences? Let’s take advantage of available technology, like RideStats, social media and the HBC website. And then there are apps like Zoom where we can at least virtually clink our adult beverages together and celebrate friendships with other club members.
3. We feel good to see our individual miles accumulate as the season progresses. Even if we aren’t in a group, the miles we ride DO matter, both to ourselves and our club.
What should you be doing now to be ready to join in when we go “live” in early May?
1. We will be using the app “Ride with GPS” (RWGPS) as the site for the route maps and other information. If you are not already using this, log in to HBC. Under the “Members” tab you will see “RWGPS for Members”. Click on that and follow the instructions to join the HBC group. Voilà! You are ready.
2. Members must be familiar with how to access and use the Ride Calendar. You will need to register for a ride in order to find a route and self-report your miles.
3. At the Ride Leader Training sessions in early May, Ride Leaders will be updated on scheduling and reporting solo rides in RideStats and using RWGPS to develop maps. A separate email will be sent with dates for these meetings via Zoom. If questions before, please contact Dawn Wilson.
If you need a refresher on how to use the Ride Calendar or RWGPS, please contact me to find out where to get help.
We’ll let you know when we’re ready to go. I am really looking forward to seeing what our talented Ride Leaders create!